Jul 24, 2010

Meet the Maker - Celtsmith

Name: Peter Wright
Shop: Celtsmith
Location: Deep in the forest, Nearest town Grafton, Australia.


Tell us a bit about yourself and what makes you happy?
Busy people are happy people and there are not enough hours in my day. It is magic of making something beautiful and facinating from some very plain materials and then finding someone to love it .

What do you make, and how are your products environmentally friendly?
I paint, pot, draw, do woodwork , play music and every day make jewelry (jewellery) from found materials. Usually old cutlery, silver dishes, stones and recycled copper. All this gets done in a studio powered by solar electricity, totally solar.

Why did you start making earth-friendly goods?
There is so much inspiration in found objects. They are cheap or free. They do not increase our impact in the planet.

What's your favourite thing you've ever made? Why?
My house, It is small, beautiful, functional, collects its own water and uses solar electricity from my studio.

What's your #1 tip for living greener?
Before you buy something ask yourself "do I need it or do I just want it"

How long have you been creating?
Since I was a child, my mother would always be interested in something we had made. It has been my life since about 1970

Last but not least, why do you believe that supporting ethical consumerism is important?
It provides an avenue to undo a little of the damage we have done to the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment